I know that I have uttered the phrase. Most likely, you have said it too.
If my life was a movie…
- The prince on his white horse would come rescue me from the tower.
- I would tap my heels together and return to Kansas.
- We would whistle a tune to pass the time.
- (Insert the plot of any movie here.)
- And, of course, we would all live happily ever after.
and we wish that our lives could have the same tidy resolution.
So let’s imagine for a moment that the entirety of history was one long movie.
Every human who has ever lived is an actor in this blockbuster, making the excessive cast a motley mix of professionals and amateurs. It is a situation comedy, if you will, and the Director always has the final say.
Take a moment to imagine. Who has the lead? Who are the supporting actors? What is the plot? Who is the protagonist? The antagonist? What is your role?
Do you have your answers? Good. Here is what I think: