In honor of the fact that I am almost done with my first semester of college, I just wanted to let you in on a secret: my mom is the best cook ever! Trust me; after four months of cafeteria food, I know good cooking when I taste it, and no one cooks better than Mom.
10 Things My Mom can Cook Better than Yours:
- Feijoada – I know what you are thinking right now: “What is feijoada? I’ve never heard of that one!” Well let me tell you. Feijoada is Brazilian black beans and rice. It has sausage and spices in it that are to die for, and I wish that the cafeteria would learn how to make it because canned black beans have nothing on feijoada.
- Enchiladas – No one has ever made an enchilada as good as my moms. In fact, I don’t order enchiladas at restaurants because no one else can do them right.
- Baked Macaroni – It’s simple y’all. One pound of macaroni. One pound of cheese. One quart of milk. Don’t try to change it.
- Pecan Cookies – My mom got this recipe from a coworker after I pigged out at an open house. My mom makes them even better than the person who originally made them.
- Pigs-in-a-blanket – DO NOT BOIL THE HOT DOGS!! They will cook thoroughly in the oven. All you need to do is cut Gwaltney Great Dogs in half long-ways and roll them in Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. Pop them in the oven, and you are set.
- Strawberry Cake – my mom pours frozen strawberries into the cake after it has baked. Then she makes the absolute best frosting. Don’t even pretend your mom can do that!
- Chicken Pie – minimal veggies, tender chicken, buttery crust. It is sheer perfection!
- Stir-fry Chicken – I don’t know why, but I always ask for this when I go home. Veggies, chicken, and rice. What else could you want?
- Waffles – I don’t know why hers are better. They just are!
- Ropa Vieja – Once again, you probably don’t know what this is. Well, it is this Cuban recipe that is absolutely awesome. That is all I know.
I know that you disagree with me, so tell me why. What does your mom cook better than mine? I would love to hear from you!