I have a huge respect for true vegans–not because they go without meat, cheese, and milk–because they go without honey, yogurt, and eggs. Those three things are the breaking point for me, and I am going to use two of them in today’s recipe.
These coconut macaroons from Elana’s Pantry, are sweet, simple, and superb! The best part? You can serve them at your next party, and your friends will never guess that they are healthy, all natural, gluten-free, clean, and ridiculously easy.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- Separate egg whites and whisk them briefly with a fork.
- Add honey and continue whisking until the eggs and honey are well combined.
- Whisk in salt.
- Stir in coconut flakes and make sure that all flakes are well-coated with the honey-egg mixture.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a small scoop (1 tablespoon), portion out your macaroons. Be sure to press the coconut mixture into the scoop so that each macaroon will stay together while baking.
- Place macaroons onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Macaroons should be lightly browned.
- Cool for at least 1 hour before serving.