My college is less than a mile from the site of the original Krispy Kreme bakery. In fact, I pass by the location when I run. While the original building is gone, there is a plaque commemorating this momentous location in food history.
There are a lot of recipes out there for healthy donuts; the problem is that most of them require ingredients that I do not keep on hand. Even though I didn’t have the proper ingredients for this recipe from AthleticAvacado, I was able to improvise and make delicious breakfast donuts.
Apple Donuts with Cinnamon Glaze
- 1/2 c oatmeal, ground into flour
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 tbs. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/6 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- **While some would say that glaze is optional, I highly recommend it for this recipe. If you opt to omit the glaze, add extra honey and cinnamon to your donut batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grind oatmeal in a food processor until it is the consistency of flour (about 20 uninterrupted seconds)
- Add 1/3 cup applesauce, milk, vanilla, and honey. Process until well-mixed (about 10 seconds).
- Transfer to donut pan (if you don’t have one, see below).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the donuts are baking, combine 1/6 cup applesauce, yogurt, and cinnamon in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 20 seconds.
- Pour glaze over warm donuts and eat!
DIY Donut Pan
(For those of us who are
- Tin foil
- Muffin tin
- Cut tin foil into 5-inch squares.
- Roll each square into an individual ball.
- Place each ball into a muffin tin.
- **Be sure to hold down the tin foil while you are pouring in the batter