Last week, The Most Happy posted about Two Pages, a book of writing prompts by Abigail Thomas. One page of the book prompted the reader to write two pages about nine things they could not remember. I drew some inspiration from the book and formulated this Top Ten Tuesday.
Top Ten Things I Cannot Remember (and 10 Things I Can)
1. I don’t remember the name of any of the actors in the Wizard of Oz (other than Judy Garland), but I do remember that the book was written by L. Frank Baum.
2. I don’t remember doing anything interesting in Chicago, but I do remember that we stayed in a hotel with rotating doors.
3. I don’t remember if I ate breakfast on my first day of college, but I do remember that I wore a blue polka-dot shirt to orientation.
4. I don’t remember buying white gauchos, but I do remember wearing them to school in fifth grade (and yes, they are still in my closet).
5. I don’t remember my first fashion tantrum, but I do remember my mom telling me that I was quite young and it involved a denim jumper.
6. I don’t remember my home address being anything different than it is now (we moved here when I was 2 weeks old), but I do remember a single discussion in which my parents mentioned moving about 2 miles (the idea was quickly discarded).
7. I don’t remember why I insisted on wearing my bangs over my eyes as a fifth grader, but I do remember my mom telling me that I looked ridiculous (I wish I had listened to her).
8. I don’t remember the first time I took a picture, but I do remember buying my first film camera ($20 at Walmart, and I could not have been happier).
9. I don’t remember the first time I left the state, but I do remember the first time I left the country.
10. I don’t remember why I started this blog, but I do remember that I spent months coming up with a name for it.
What things in life have your forgotten and what memories do you cherish?