What do you do while something is in the oven? Do you read? Blog? Dance? Clean the kitchen? Watch television?
The day that I made these trail mix muffins, I went for a one-mile run as soon as I put the muffins in the oven. I set the timer for 25 minutes and took off, knowing that (1) my mom would be in the kitchen just in case something happened, and (2) I would be back from the run in less than ten minutes.
My muffins burned. When I calculated baking time, I failed to take into consideration the size of the muffins and fact that I was using a metal pan. The good news is that they still tasted great…they just look a little, um, dark. As I sat to write this post, I chose to only photograph the prettiest of the muffins, and I adjusted the baking time in the directions.
But really, try them! They are great!
Trail Mix Muffins
- 1 ripe banana
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup mix of nuts and dried fruits (I used a mix of almonds, peanuts, cashews, and raisins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mash the banana and mix in milk and vanilla.
- Add oatmeal, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in nuts and fruit.
- Spray a 6-count muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Evenly distribute the batter between all six cups.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until light brown (it may be in your best interest to not go for a run at this time 🙂 ).
- Let cool before removing from the pan (they will crumble in to granola if you don’t let them cool!)
- Eat and enjoy!