I am told that hot coffee is wonderful on a cold morning, but I cannot personally attest to that fact. Although my mom drinks straight black coffee on a daily basis, I have no affection for the bitter drink. However, I am always seeking for unique ways to cook oatmeal, and using coffee as the base sounded like an interesting approach.
To my surprise, I loved this oatmeal! The dark taste of coffee was indeed warming, and the gingerbread flavor was perfect for a wintry morning.
Gingerbread Latte Oatmeal
- 2/3 cup strong black coffee
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Bring water and coffee to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in oatmeal
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and vanilla
- Stir in honey before serving
Adapted from theoatmealartist.com