As a teacher’s kid, you spend a lot of hours sitting in your parent’s classroom, waiting for meetings to finish, papers to be graded, and lesson plans to be written.
My childhood was exactly that. I spent many hours coloring, playing solitaire, and walking circles around the tree outside. When I tired of those activities, I searched Mom’s classroom for an activity to pass the time. After playing with various props that Mom kept around to aid for her Spanish lessons, I read Green Eggs and Ham in Spanish. I didn’t understand a word, but I used to pictures to recall the familiar rhyme.
In celebration of national Dr. Seuss Day, read Green Eggs and Ham…in whatever language you choose. Optional: make the following recipe as well.
Greens, Eggs, and Ham Quiche for One
- 2 thin deli slices of ham
- 1 egg
- 1 small handful of spinach
- 1/2 tsp green salsa (more or less to taste)
- Cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and spray two large muffin tins with nonstick spray.
- Place one slice of ham in each muffin well and fold so that it lines the side of the pan.
- Grind spinach in a food processor for about 5 seconds.
- Add eggs and salsa to food processor and pulse 2-3 times.
- Pour egg mixture into ham bowls.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!