There are some recipes that simply cannot be outdone, and you simply should not mess with perfection. Nobody will ever beat the 1-1-1 macaroni recipe that has been handed through our family (1 lb. elbow noodles, 1lb. cheese, 1 quart milk). I have never had strawberry cake that tastes quite as good as the moist dessert my mom bakes. Above all, nothing compares to my homemade oatmeal cookies (and, sorry, but I am not revealing my secret ingredient).
In high school, this basic banana smoothie became my favorite post-soccer-practice snack. It met all the necessary requirements:
- It is easy to make
- It fit the coach-prescribed “soccer diet”
- It tied me over until I could eat Mom’s amazing supper
I have tried a variety of alterations over the years, but the base stays the same: one banana, one cup of milk. Add whatever you want, but don’t mess with perfection.
Basic Banana Smoothie
- 1 banana (preferably frozen)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup ice (if banana is not frozen)
- Additional options (you can add as many as you choose!):
- peanut butter
- chocolate syrup
- frozen berries
- caramel sauce
- honey, agave, or maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Drink and enjoy!
Have a great weekend!