Autumn officially begins this week, and I have mixed emotions. On one hand, cold weather means less outside runs, hikes, and photography. On the other hand, the beautiful foliage is truly breathtaking. Although I will be saying goodbye to the lovely fresh fruits of summer, I adore pumpkins, squash, and cinnamon as well. Negatively, my light, loose dresses will be packed away. Positively, I will finally find jeans and sweatshirts appropriate for class.
One of the undeniable benefits of autumn is in-season apples. Slice one up today and make this delicious baked oatmeal.
Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups dry oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 14 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Toss sliced apples with lemon juice, nutmeg, and cinnamon
- Spray a 9×13 baking sheet with nonstick spray, and pour Apple misture into the pan
- In a bowl, combine milk, water, and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, combine oats and baking soda
- Stir oat mixture into liquid mixture
- Pour oats and liquid into the baking pan. Fold apples into oats
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Let cool
- Eat and enjoy!