A classmate of mine was given boxes of free fruit, and he claimed that he could never eat it all. So when he offered me a few pieces, I couldn’t turn him down. Most of the fruit was eaten raw, but this lone grapefruit managed to find its way into an oatmeal recipe.
Grapefruit is not exactly the sweetest citrus available. In fact, I found it unappealing when I first tried it a few years ago. By adding some spices and honey, I made this a sweet-tooth friendly breakfast.
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Cinnamon and Honey for topping
- Turn on oven and set to broil.
- Combine water, vanilla, and oatmeal in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes.
- Use The Oatmeal Artist’s instructions for segmenting citrus fruit to prep the grapefruit.
- Using a spoon, scrape grapefruit segments into the oatmeal and completely remove all of the “innards” from the grapefruit.
- Pour the oatmeal into the two grapefruit “bowls” and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Top with cinnamon and honey, if desired.
- Place in oven and broil for 5-7 minutes.
- Let cool, eat, and enjoy!