Next to Christmas and my birthday, today might be the best day of the year. Why? Because today is National Oatmeal Cookie Day.
In honor of this wonderful holiday, I am going to share with you my recipe for Coconut Oatmeal Cookies. In my opinion, these cookies are simply irresistible.
I must confess, though, that I have substituted one very important secret ingredient. This ingredient truly makes the difference in the coconut oatmeal cookie recipe. The recipe you see below is how I made the cookies one time when I was out of my secret ingredient. They were still delicious and quickly devoured, but they were not quite the same.
You can guess the secret ingredient all you want, but I will neither confirm nor deny any guesses 🙂
Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 sticks of butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Beat butter and sugars to form a cream
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a flour sifter. Sift into the egg, butter, and sugar.
- Beat with a hand mixer until all ingredients are completely combined.
- Stir in oatmeal. To make mixing easier, I like to add one cup at a time.
- Add coconut.
- Form teaspoon-sized balls and place on an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool 1 minute on the pan before transferring to parchment paper.
- Let cool, eat, and enjoy!
**Note: Pictures were taken of a half-batch of cookies.