It’s January, which means three things:
- The air is cold.
- The gym is packed.
- We are all celebrating National Oatmeal Month. Am I right?
Although there is nothing I can do to bring warmer weather or expel a few Resolutioners from the gym, I can continue to help you celebrate National Oatmeal Month.
Lemon poppy seed is one of my favorite muffin flavors. Lemon is light, and happy, and the taste of summer. Maybe these muffins will provide enough sunshine to last me to June.
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp honey
- juice from 1/2 medium lemon
- zest from 1/2 medium lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and liberally coat a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray
- Grind oatmeal in a food processor to make a coarse flour
- Whisk together oat flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and milk
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, orange juice, applesauce, vanilla extract, honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients
- Evenly distribute batter between 12 muffin wells
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Let cool in pan
- Remove from pan, eat, and enjoy!