This month would be wasted if I did not include at least one recipe for oatmeal in its truest form, cooked on the stove and served warm in a bowl.
But you better believe that this is NOT a recipe for brown goop!
On the contrary, I serve to you a warm winter version of rocky road ice cream. Rich chocolate, gooey marshmallows, and smooth almonds meld together and form a decadent, protein-rich breakfast. Rather than inducing brain-freeze, this steaming bowl of chocolate will thaw your heart.
Grab a spoon and dig in!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbs vanilla protein powder OR 1/2 tbs sweetener (honey, sugar, stevia, etc.) plus 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- small handful marshmallows
- sliced almonds or other nut of choice (as much as you would like)
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Stir in oatmeal and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 2 minutes. Add cocoa powder and protein powder (or sweetener and vanilla). Cook 3-5 minutes (until oatmeal is desired consistency).
- Turn off the burner, and stir in the marshmallows and almonds.
- Transfer to a bowl, and let cool for a few minutes (you don’t want to burn your tongue!).
- Eat and enjoy!
I am linking up with Angie for Fiesta Friday!