June 23 is National Pink Day!
Last summer, I fell in love with smoothie bowls. Every Saturday as soon we we were released from media and cleaning duties, my camp compadre drove us to Nekter Juice Bar for acai bowls piled high with strawberries, granola, and bananas. She always purchased a berry-laden bowl, but I sampled every option.
Not only were these smoothie bowls delicious, but they were also beautiful! In celebration of National Pink Day (which is this Saturday!), I created my own smoothie bowl with pitaya, strawberries, and mango.
What’s pitaya, you ask? It’s just a fancy word for dragon fruit.
You can top your smoothie bowl with anything that sounds tasty. Some of my favorite toppings are granola, colorful fruit, and nuts.
…as a side note, am I the only person who didn’t realize that a single dragon fruit costs five dollars?!
For two smoothie bowls:
- 1/2 white or pink pitaya (dragon fruit), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup frozen mango (about 1/2 of a medium mango, peeled and cut)
- 5 strawberries, leaves removed
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used 2%, but the shop in Texas used almond milk. Really, you can use any liquid that fills your belly and makes you happy)
- 1 cup ice (use more ice if you want a thicker smoothie bowl, less ice if you want a drinkable smoothie)
- Sliced dragon fruit
- Chia seeds
- Sliced banana
- Whatever your heart desires
- Place all smoothie ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and decorate with toppings.
- Eat and enjoy!
My favorite color is pink, which is why I love June 23! What’s your favorite color?