I wonder why some ice cream companies dye their mint ice cream green and other companies make white mint ice cream. Personally, I don’t think the color affects the flavor–I love a few scoops of white mint ice cream from Breyer’s as much as I love a green mint Klondike bar. This month, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to make green mint chocolate chip cookie bars for St. Patrick’s Day.
- One 15-oz. white cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. mint extract
- 11 drops green food coloring
- 1 drop yellow food coloring
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, oil, and eggs. Add food coloring and mix until the color is consistent.
- Add mint extract and chocolate chips. Stir to integrate.
- Spread cookie dough into prepared pan. Optionally, you can press an additional 1/2 cup of chocolate chips into the dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Eat and enjoy!
Which do you prefer–green mint ice cream or ice cream without dye?