In 2019, I am posting a roundup of “simple joys” on the last Saturday of every month. Feel free to share your own simple joys in the comments!
The 100 Books Bucket List brought some good reads (or listens) this month. Here are my top three recommendations:
- My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne
Popcorn is good on its own, but the addition of white chocolate and sprinkles makes it birthday-week-worthy.
I shared this popcorn with the third- and fourth-graders at my church, and they could not quit eating it! I lost count of how many times I heard, “Can I have some more popcorn?”
I wonder why some ice cream companies dye their mint ice cream green and other companies make white mint ice cream. Personally, I don’t think the color affects the flavor–I love a few scoops of white mint ice cream from Breyer’s as much as I love a green mint Klondike bar. This month, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to make green mint chocolate chip cookie bars for St. Patrick’s Day.
If you are only here for the recipe, you can find it below the next picture. If you want to read about how I went a little mint crazy last fall, keep scrolling!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 overripe banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/2 scoop protein powder (optional)
- 2 large handfuls of spinach (for the green color, optional)
Do you buy discounted chocolate the day after Valentine’s day? If so, the February cookie bar of the month is perfect for you!
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 bag (12 ounces) white chocolate chips
- 24 Hershey kisses
Simple Joy Saturday will look a little different in 2019. Instead of posting 3 “simple joys” every Saturday, I am going to post a roundup of “simple joys” on the last Saturday of every month. My hope is that the content of these posts will be more substantial and that I will post more consistently.
- The Year of Less by Cait Flanders
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Cristie
My mom bought me a “100 Books Bucket List Scratch-Off Poster” for Christmas. Since then, I have been listening to audiobooks like my life depended on it, and I have only listened to two books that were not on the poster: The Year of Less by Cait Flanders and Shouldn’t You Be in School by Lemony Snicket. In my opinion, those two books should have made the list, and a few other books should be removed from the poster.
Does anyone else see the perfection of celebrating National Peanut Butter Day (today, January 24) during National Oatmeal Month (January). It’s a match made in heaven!
- 1 cup milk (or water, but milk will yield a creamier result)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Hershey Kiss