As promised last week, I am bringing you a very unique oatmeal recipe today.
Just when you though that I couldn’t put together a weirder oatmeal combination, I decided to pair oatmeal with my favorite childhood food: macaroni and cheese.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup pasta
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tbs shredded cheese (I used a cheddar and monterey jack blend)
- pinch of paprika (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and continue to boil 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in oatmeal. Continue to boil for five minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cottage cheese, shredded cheese.
- Transfer to bowl. Top with cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Eat and enjoy.
I’ve noticed a lot of people out in blogger’s world advocating the Paleo diet. They make it sound great–let’s eat like cavemen–and their pages have some pretty yummy recipes. Since I know I could never be a strict Paleo (no oatmeal? no yogurt? no black beans? forget it!), I decided to see if I could even make it a day.
For breakfast, I cooked some eggs. So far so good…then I topped them with corn salsa. Strike one.
– That’s okay. It’s only one meal. I will do better the rest of the day.
My mid-morning snack was peanuts. Strike two.
– Alright. Third time is the charm. Lunch will be perfect.
I found a recipe for sweet potato patties, made some modifications to keep it both Paleo and tasty, and set to work. After some cooking and photographing, I devoured two delicious sweet potato patties…topped with cottage cheese. Strike three. I’m out.
More power to ya’, cavemen. For now, I will keep eating peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon.
Paleo (or not) Sweet Potato Patties
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbs. almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric
- honey to taste (if you have also given up the Paleo way of life 🙂 )
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl
- Shape mixture into two patties
- Heat a medium skillet over high heat and place patties in the pan
- Cook for a few minutes on each side until the patties are golden brown
- Remove from pan, eat, and be thankful that we are not cave people